Return of the Runelords
Scatter-brained Shoanti martial artist
Tall, dark, and built like an aurochs (6’ 1", 195 lbs, white hair, green eyes). He’s agile and tough, but that’s nothing compared to his incredible strength. Despite the fact that he seems a bit scatter-brain (often forgetting things or remembering things that never happened), he has wisdom beyond his years.
Miles is borderline obsessive when it comes to his workout routine. He exercises daily, alternating between martial arts katas and extreme strength training. When asked why he pushes himself so hard, Miles gets a faraway look in his eyes and responds, “Because I have to be prepared.”
Male Human (Shoanti) Monk (Master of Many Styles) 13
LG Medium Humanoid (Human)
Init + 5, Senses Perception + 26
AC 24, touch 24, flat-footed 21 ( 14 vs Enchantment effects); + 2 vs Paralysis, Sleep, & Stun
Defensive Abilities Ashava’s Blessing, Buffering Cap (1/day), Combat Reflexes, Improved Evasion, Ki Power (Furious Defense, Qinggong Power [ Barkskin ], Furious Defense), Monk AC Bonus (+ 2), Purity of Body, Shadow Remnants, Shawl of Life-Keeping (1/day), Still Mind, Time Lost
Resistances None; Immunities Disease
Ranged light crossbow + 15 (1d8; 19-20 x2; 80’) or Spear + 15 (1d8 + 7; x3; 20’) or shuriken + 15/+ 10/+ 5 (1d2 + 7; x2; 10’)
Melee Spear + 20/+ 15/+ 10 (1d8 + 10; x3) or Unarmed Strike + 22/+ 17/+ 12 (2d8 + 12; 19 – 20 x2)
Space 5’; Reach 5’
Special Attacks Boar Style, Dragon Style (Dragon Ferocity), Improved Bull Rush (+ 19), Jabbing Style, Ki Pool (11/day), Ki Power (Battlemind Link_, Elemental Fury [Electricity; 6 rounds]), Ki Strike (Cold Iron, Lawful, Magic, Silver), Master of Styled Strikes (Defensive Spin, Leg Sweep, Shattering Punch), Power Attack (- 4/+ 8), Stunning Fist (14/day; DC 21)
Str 24, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 20, Cha 10
Base Attack + 13; CMB + 20; CMD 43
Feats Boar Style, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Dragon Ferocity, Dragon Style, Feral Combat Training (Claw), Improved Critical (Unarmed Strike), Jabbing Dancer, Jabbing Master, Jabbing Style, Power Attack, Stunning Fist, Toughness, Weapon Focus (Claw)
Skills (ACP – 0): Acrobatics + 23 (+ 16 to jump), Climb + 13, Fly + 8, Linguistics + 1, Perception + 26, Sense Motive + 21, Stealth + 18, Swim + 13
Languages Shoanti, Taldane; Tongue of the Sun & Moon
Traits Time Lost (4/6)
SQ Bonus Feats (7), Dual Talent, Fast Movement (+ 30’), Fuse Styles (3), Ki Power (_Abundant Step 920’), Unarmed Strike (2d8), Weapons (Monk)
Expendables Acid, alchemist’s fire x4, antitoxin x3, holy water x2, smokestick, thunderstone x3; Potion of Cure Light Wounds x2, Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds x2, Potion of Cure Serious Wounds x2, Potion of Darkvision, Potion of Fly x4, Potion of Hex Ward, Potion of Invisibility x2, Potion of Lesser Restoration, Potion of Sorshen’s Whisper
Weapons light crossbow, crossbow bolt x10, shuriken x5; spear
Magic Items + 2 Amulet of Mighty Fists, Boro Bead (1st), Boots of Elvenkind, Bracers of Sworn Vengeance, Buffering Cap, Cracked Dusty Rose Prism Ioun Stone (Continual Flame SL 4th), Dusty Rose Prism Ioun Stone, Eyes of the Eagle, Monk’s Robe_, Ring of Feather Fall, Shawl of Life-Keeping, Shifter’s Headband (+ 4 Wis), Wayfinmder (Pale Blue Rhomboid Ioun Stone [ Continual Flame ])
Mundane Gear Handy Haversack (crowbar, disguise kit (0/10), flint & steel, gear maintenance kit, grappling hook, grooming kit, mess kit, rations x13, 50’ silk rope, torch x4, waterskin), bedroll, blanket, medium tent
Wealth 2,339 gp; crown of hams, diamond dust (1,000 gp), gold bracelet (100 gp), wooden fox wearing a fez (50 gp); Materials: Bead of Newt Prevention, + 2 Belt of Thunderous Charge, Holy Mighty Fists, Resistance + 3 to + 4)
Runemark: + 1 Deflection, + 3 Resistance
Miles was living in Magnimar and working as a caravan guard to make extra money when he met Sora. Sora had been living in a Lizardfolk village, unable to remember who he was or how he came to the Mushfens. Miles arranged for Sora’s transportation back to Magnimar and the two have been nearly inseparable ever since.
Two years ago, Miles talked Sora into moving to Roderic’s Cove. He never really explained why. Miles just said, “I’ve never spent much time there. So, maybe it’s where I need to be.”
Miles doesn’t have a full time job. He does odd jobs around the town – anything from manual labor to guard duty or even the occasional martial arts class. He seems to purposefully move from job to job as if he’s trying to work for each person in town at least once.
Sorry boy. We still haven’t got the right combination. I think I need to send you back further. Look, you told me to tell yourself to spend more time building up your strength. After all, if you’d been able to lift that bolder, you wouldn’t have wound up dead and back here with me again, would you?
Me? I think. Apparently, in some future time line, my master and I tried (and failed) to prevent some kind atrocity. My master (Odakotah) was killed in the process, but somehow was able to avoid Pharasma’s judgement in the Boneyard. Now his spirit fishes me out of the River of Souls whenever I die and sends me back to try a new tactic. My master claims he’s doing this all at my (a future version of myself) direction!
The problem is, each time I’m sent back, time lines get splintered. As I understand it, I’m still dead in all the other “failure” time lines, but somehow, if I ever do figure out how to not fail, all the time fractures will “heal.” Honestly, I don’t understand it, but I work for myself. Sort of?
Miles, what’s the most important step a man can take on his life’s journey? The next one. Taking the first step in a journey is easy. Anyone can muster enough resolve to take a single step. It’s that next step that’s hard. And the next step and the next one. After every step, the most important step you can take is the next one. Every time you fail, you need to get back up and be better. That’s all.
I don’t know what my long-term goal is supposed to be, and it’s very frustrating. Occasionally, I get visions of the future (or are they memories?), but I rarely know what they mean because my time line is so broken. So, in the short term I have two goals:
- Prepare myself for the challenges ahead, which apparently are horrifyingly dangerous since I keep dying. This involves lots of physical training. Interestingly, I don’t have to do any actual martial arts training since it just comes (back) to me because I’ve trained for decades (maybe longer) in my own future. Occasionally, Odakotah trains me in some new technique after he’s fished me out of the River of Souls.
- Be on the look out for whatever it is I’m supposed to be preventing or fixing or…whatever. This has been the hardest thing. Many of my failed time lines were the result of me pursuing what I thought was the “right path,” while the calamity was happening elsewhere. The only thing I know for sure, is I don’t fix the problem on my own. I’m to seek out allies. This has been a good thing, because I’ve gotten to meet a lot of fine people.
What do mean, “Why am I doing all this?” You are literally trying to save the world! At least, that’s what you told me…or, what you will tell me. I can’t quite remember which it is. What else do you need to know?
Despite what Odakotah says, “saving the world” isn’t so much important to me as “something I have to do.” What I really care about is getting myself out of this cycle of broken time lines. I would love to finally have memories that I know are memories as opposed to memories of past lives from the future lives that no longer technically exist.
In the “beginning,” I was completely, selflessly dedicated to saving the world for no other reason that it was the right thing to do. Now, although I still care about saving the world, I’m just exhausted. I still have a traditionally “good” code of ethics and all my training has made me regimented and dedicated. Within the constants of my personality, I am simply most interested in either fixing my time line or being able to rest in peace. If I somehow manage to save the world in the process, that would be gravy.
Wait, wait, wait! Is this happening now? I mean, actually now? I thought this was a memory!
I find it difficult to keep my past, present, and future straight. I will often get these things confused. Furthermore, some of my “memories” are from time lines that are nonexistent and therefore the memories are of things that never happened.
I haven’t decided how this all plays out in game. Part of it is going to take the form of me just riffing on things happening in the game as if I’ve already experienced them. I’m going to do my best to treat some of these memory-theories as real and act on them even if it’s not necessarily the best course of action. I’m open to suggestions on this.
- In my prime time line, I was born into the Sadde-Quah Shoanti of western Varisia and named Teg. I grew up as a typical tribal hunter. When the Runelords came back into the world, heroes rose to fight them but failed. All the Shaonti of every tribe were either wiped out or enslaved. I was part of a small resistance where I met Odakotah, who began my martial arts training. Odakotah and I died when Thassilonian slave Giants crushed our camp.
- My relative age is something like 350 years-old. I’ve lived dozens of lives, most of which ended in my mid-twenties. The recent trend (which may be a good sign) is that I’ve been living longer and longer each life.
- This current life, like most of my others, I came to realize my situation at 4 years of age. I immediately began to plan my escape from Shoanti lands.
- I managed to make my way to Riddleport by my seventh birthday.
- Using memories to find safe places to sleep and secure ways to eat and earn money, I spent six years in Riddleport honing reflexes and learning basic muscle-memory for the martial arts I already know.
- Over the last several years, I’ve lived in Korvosa and Magnimar, looking for signs of where I should be. I was also using every spare gold coin to eat and bulk up with strength-building exercises.
- While living in Magnimar, I spent time as a caravan guard and adopted the name Miles to fit in better. One of my jobs was escorting a trade mission between the city and a tribe of Lizarfolk in the Mushfens.
- On the very first trip to the Lizardfolk, I saw a man (Sora) living with the Lizarfolk. Sora was clearly in distress – suffering from some sort of amnesia. Although the caravan master made me pay for his food, I insisted we take Sora back to Magnimar.
- Once in Magnimar, I got Sora set up so he wouldn’t starve, and I thought that was the end of it. Sora, however, had formed an attachment to me. We have been inseparable for the last three years.
- Two years ago, mostly because I’ve yet to spend any meaningful time there, Sora and I came to Roderic’s Cove.
- Shortly after arriving in Roderic’s Cove, I found myself drawn to Aundrahni via my inconsistent memories. Unwilling to commit to engaging the Elf (because my memories are unclear), I’ve mostly watched her from afar. It’s a small town, so it’s not like we never talk or anything, but I keep the woman at arms-length.
- I do some light stalking of her. I don’t think she’s aware, but I could be wrong.